We love this banana pudding, recipe courtesy of Paula Deen. I made it yesterday, and it doesn’t last long in this house. The longer the pudding sits, the softer the cookies get.
- 2 bags Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies
- 6 to 8 bananas, sliced
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (5-ounce) box instant French vanilla pudding [I use vanilla, I can’t find French vanilla in this size.]
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping thawed, or equal amount sweetened whipped cream [I use the standard 8-ounce container of Cool Whip]
Line the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch dish with 1 bag of cookies and layer bananas on top.
In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld electric mixer. Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth. Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended. Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas and cover with the remaining cookies. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
[Tip: I like to open both bags of Chessmen cookies to see if any are broken before I start assembly. I put the broken cookies on the bottom of the dish, saving the intact cookies for the top.]