Magazine Purge #7! This one comes courtesy of Family Circle, September 2012. I always love something I can toss in the slow cooker in the morning.
- 1 beef brisket (or chuck roast), about 2 pounds, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can (16 oz) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked white rice [I will probably use brown rice]
- ¼ cup chopped scallion
- lime wedges (optional)
- Coat slow cooker bowl with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add brisket, onion, and garlic. In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, mustard, and cumin. Stir into beef and onions. Cover and cook on low for 10 hours.
- Stir in beans and cook for 30 minutes. Serve with rice. Garnish with scallion and, if desired, lime wedges.